Tuesday 26 November 2019

Flash Fiction: Hungry


Hungry


“Did you have a good journey Joel? May I call you Joel?”
For this salary he could call me The Pink Pixie.
“Sure, that’s fine.”
His office is all dark oak panelling and pile carpet. There’s green-shaded wall-lamps illuminating the decor: oil-painted horses, with some brasses and an antique saddle. A sepia photo of some old cricket team with an aged bat, ball and stumps. Think tired old country pub, except behind him there’s this weird art-deco crucifix.
“I’m Gregory Stanislaub, senior partner, as I’m sure Amanda mentioned.”
The hot little fox on reception.
He’s running long fingers through his thinning hair.
“Yes indeed.” Nod along Joel, nod along.
He waves my CV. “So do tell me about your career thus far.”
I trotted out what he wanted. High-flyer, Blue-chip city brokerage, gold standard bond trader. Beefed it up a bit obvs.
“Super! And social life? Significant other? What do you get up to when you’re not hard at it?”
Boring question. Single single single, who has the time? What gets me up in the morning is doing the deals I say. If I get to bed late it’s because I’m networking with colleagues and clients.
“Tremendous! What an asset you must be for your current employers. But… why us?” A wide tooth-filled smile.
“The advertisement said Hungry”
“Did it indeed?” he chuckled “That would be Katie in HR writing the copy. Hungry for…? Love? Revenge? Dessert? I’m all ears Joel, what did Katie put?”
“Challenges is what she put.” Silly old goat.
“Excellent.” He waves my CV again. I have to say you’re ideal Joel! You’re greedy, single, self-centred. You’re pretty much dead to society already. No one is going to miss you.”
Bit strong I thought.
Suddenly he’s standing. Taller than he has any right to be. Cadaverous hands like china claws reaching out. Mouth full of teeth.
“Your destiny is entwined with mine.” he cries “Your time has come!”
Well I just grab the cricket stump off the wall and stake him through the heart!. Mate I was a frigging BOND trader! There’s not much you can tell me about being dead on the inside.
But what I’d forgotten Jacob, may I call you Jacob? Well let me ask you…what HAD I forgotten?
Yeah! Bright lad! Amanda! Amanda who firstly tasers me, which bloody hurt, then turns me undead in time-honoured fashion, which weirdly did not.
Anyway that’s why I’m now sitting where Gregory sat and why you, Jacob, are sitting where I sat. It’s also why I got a decent interior designer to redecorate and we are now sans horse brasses and cricket stumps.
So…bit old-fashioned but I have to go through it. “Your destiny is entwined with mine! Your time has come mate!”

No comments:

Post a Comment